For sauce, saute 4 garlic cloves in 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil. Add in 1 tbsp dried parsley, sea salt to taste, 1 tbsp hot red pepper flakes, and a can of crushed/diced tomatoes. Let it bubble for 1 min, simmer for 15 mins. Dip 2 flattened eggplants in 3/4 cup flour and then in 3-5 beaten eggs. Bake until golden brown. Overlay sauce, Parmesan and Mozarella. Bake at 350F for 30 mins.
If you are craving some soul food then this delectable Italian dish is just the thing for you! It’s healthy, wholesome with veggies and load of cheese. It’s a meal in itself! Let’s get started.
- 2 firm Eggplants
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- Himalayan or Sea salt
- 3-5 Eggs
- 3/4 cup Flour (gluten free is best)
- 1 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella
For The Marinara Sauce
- 3-4 Garlic cloves
- 1 can Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp hot red pepper flakes (optional)
Direction For The Sauce
- Sauté 3-4 cloves garlic in about 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil.
- Add dried parsley, a dash of sea salt and red hot pepper flakes (optional).
- Add organic crushed tomatoes or diced if you want it chunky.
- Let it bubble for a minute then turn to low. Cook for about 15 mins on low simmer. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Direction For The Dish
- Peel and slice eggplant into 1/4 inch slices. Place them on top of a paper towel, on a plate. Sprinkle with salt, cover with another paper towel and layer another slice of eggplant sprinkled with salt. Do this until all the eggplants are sliced. To press it out, place a heavy plate on top.
This will press the moisture out of the eggplant and cut out any bitterness. This process will allow excess water to drain out of the eggplant. You can use a cutting board that has an indent for drippings. Or have enough paper towel at the base of the plate to soak the extra moisture.
- In a big bowl, beat the eggs and in a separate bowl place the flour.
- Dip the eggplant slices first in the flour and then into the beaten eggs.
- Place the flour and egg covered slices in a baking tray and cook in the oven for about 18 to 20 minutes, turning the slices mid-way, until then are golden brown. (Do not let it burn)
- Let the cooked eggplant slices to cool.
- In a large casserole or baking dish, layer marinara sauce, cooked eggplant slices, sprinkle with parmesan and a light sprinkle of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Continue to layer until all the eggplant slices are in casserole, top with sauce, and both parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Cover the casserole dish.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until all cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly. Take cover off for last few minutes if you desire a golden top.
We eat this on toasted rolls with salad. It’s even better the next day cold on sandwiches.